• Blog >
  • Common Items That Are Poisonous To Pets
RSS Feed

Common Items That Are Poisonous To Pets

At Animal Emergency Urgent Care Center of the Woodlands, we believe that awareness is one of the keys to preventing pet emergencies. Knowing the signs of poisoning in your cat or dog can be helpful, even though they range based on the type of poisoning. According to Pet Poison Control, below is a list of some common (but not limited to) signs of pet poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling and/or hyper-salivating
  • Lake of Appetite
  • Nausea
  • Coughing or Vomiting Blood
  • Racing Heart Rate
  • Weakness, Lethargy, or Collapse
  • Excessive thirst or urination
  • Absence or decreased urination
  • Jaundice/icterus/yellow discoloration to the gums or pale gums
  • Halitosis (“uremic” breath)
  • Black-tarry Stool (melena)
  • Dull mentation, acting abnormally


In addition, here is a list of some of the top toxins to pets:

  • Human Medications & Vitamins – Almost half of the calls made to the Pet Poison Helpline in regards to dogs, are for their dog ingesting over-the-counter or prescription medications which can be dangerous to pets. In addition, dietary supplements and vitamins can be harmful because of iron, Vitamin D, and alpha-lipoic acid can be highly toxic.
  • Human Foods – Chocolate (specifically dark chocolate) is one of the most dangerous as it contains high levels of theobromine, which can be deadly. Xylitol is a sweetener that is often found in sugarless gums & candies, which can also be life-threatening. Garlic, Onions, Salt, Raisins, Grapes and some Nuts can all be toxic to dogs.
  • Rodenticides – Rat and mouse poison isn’t only poisonous to rodents, but dogs too. Depending on the type and amount that a pet has ingested, it can result in server symptoms such as swelling of the brain, kidney failure, or seizures.
  • Toxic Plants & Insecticides – Plants such as Tulips, Daffodils, Lilies, and many others are harmful to pets when ingested. Some Fertilizers and Insecticides can be life-threatening when ingested in large quantities. See a list of the toxic plants on the Pet Poison Control Center website.


If your pet ever ingests something harmful, call us at (281) 367-5444 or the Pet Poison Helpline 1-800-213-6680 immediately.


References:

Pet Poison Helpline


Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Open 24 Hours On All Major Holidays

Monday:

6:00 pm-8:00 am

Tuesday:

6:00 pm-8:00 am

Wednesday:

6:00 pm-8:00 am

Thursday:

6:00 pm-8:00 am

Friday:

6:00 pm-8:00 am

Saturday:

Open 6pm Friday – 8am Monday

Sunday:

Open 6pm Friday – 8am Monday